Budacu de jos

 

Budacu de Jos commune is limitrophe to Bistrita municipality, located in the south-eastern part of the county residence, the other neighboring administrative units being the communes : Cetate, Dumitriţa, Şieu, Mărişelu. Located in the center of the county, in the south east of the city of Bistrita, Budacu de Jos commune is a beautiful place, inhabited until 1944 by the Saxon population, the imprint of this civilization being visible even today.

     The locality was documentary attested in 1345, but it can be said that these beautiful places are populated since the time of the Daco-Romans. The proofs in this regard are: the Roman Tower from the second century, Monariu archaeological site, Jelna archaeological site etc.

Budacu de Jos commune is composed of five villages: Budacu de Jos which is the village of residence, Buduș, Jelna, Monariu and Simioneşti.

It borders:

-          Bistriţa town to the north and north-west

-          Mărişelu commune to the south     

-          Dumitriţa commune to the east

-          Şieu commune to the south-east

Buduș, formerly Budacul Mic (in the Saxon dialect Beodesdref, in German Budesdorf, Bodesdorf, Klein-Budak, in Hungarian Alsóbudak, Kisbudak, Budak) is a locality that was founded in the thirteenth century by the Saxon colonists. It is documentary attested since 1345. In 1621, the Germans were displaced in Budacu de Jos (formerly “Budacu Săsesc”) and in Budus were placed Romanians and Hungarians.

The first documentary attestation of Jelna, with the name of Zolosim, dates from 16 July 1264. As in other localities, the perimeter of the settlement was inhabited from more distant times. But the history of Jelna began in the thirteenth century with the German colonizations made by King Geza II on the valleys of Somes and Bistrita. The development of the locality is linked to the Saxon community of the region. In the Saxon dialect the locality is known as Zanderf, and in Hungarian the name is Zsolna. In 1453, Jelna comes into the possession of Iancu of Hunedoara and in 1496 the artisan Erasmus from Bistrita is given the charge of moulding the big bell of the church. In 1497 is attested the first school organized near the church. In 1498 the mill in the locality is destroyed by floods. Starting with 1508, the villages of the district, including Jelna are subordinated to the Council of Bistriţa. In 1765 is established the Wallachian Frontier Guard’s Regiment that also included 10 families from Jelna.

The name of Monariu locality, formerly Monora, Monar (in the Saxon dialect Minoarken, Minuarkn, in German Minarken, Molnarken, Malomarken, in Hungarian Malomárka) appears for the first time in a document from 1246. In 1562 there was a fire that affected the whole village. On July 14, 1751, an unexpected flood destroyed the village, after which the settlement was moved to a higher emplacement.

Simionești (in the Saxon dialect Seimesdref, in German Seimesdorf, Simonsdorf, in Hungarian Simontelke) is mentioned for the first time in 1215 under the name of Villa Simonis, then in 1319 as Simonteluku. Currently the village has few inhabitants, most of the Germans leaving the country after the revolution. The old wooden church was given in 1905 to Dipsa village, in its place being built the current church, in the middle of the village. During the transportation of the church by the carts, the bells were tolled and the believers with tears in their eyes followed the event until the exit from the village.