The Orthodox Church „Great Martyr Saint George”,

On a promontory at the northwest of the village we encounter the spectacular ensemble of the fortified church, which reminds of the privileged status held by the locality.The church, built in Gothic style in the first half of the fourteenth century, has an unusual plan, being a church with two naves and a large chorus whose triumphal arch leans against columns with capitals decorated with vine leaves, motif related of course to the source of wealth of the locality, the wine.

The sanctuary consists of two bays, a rectangular choir and the pentagonal apse is covered with cylindrical vaults with penetrations supported by ogives with ribs that leave directly from the wall and combine keystones with floral decoration.On the inside the main nave received a half-cylinder vaulting with Baroque penetrations made of brick with structure decoration.The lateral nave communicates with the central nave by three arches in broken arch, its space being vaulted with cross vaults.Entering the tribune by dividing the lateral nave increased the liturgical space, thereby recalling the similar solution of the basilica from Teaca.

On the outside, the church is articulated by gradual buttresses, shorter on the wall corresponding to the lateral nave.Joined to the choir to the north is found the ample vestry, illuminated through a narrow Gothic window. The access to the vestry is made through a broken arch portal with bevelled edge. The southern and western portals have different shapes. The southern broken arch portal is divided, having a rectangular opening with rounded corners.The western façade unbalanced because of the lateral nave is crowned by a triangular pediment decorated by a rosace decorated with four registered lobes. The ample portal, with semicircular openingprofiled with interrupted cylindrical mouldings was considered as an element of a Romanesque phase in the evolution of the monument. The windows with broken arch openings are devoid of mullions.The decoration of the windows includes a broad repertoire of motifs: semicircular arches festooned with curved triangles, polylobes with flamboyant motifs included in arches or free, the work of some masons with a rich experience in works of this nature. The enclosure with massive walls, with breaks of slope following the shape of the field and ramparts, has placed to the south-east massive tower which is today slightly tilted because of the excavations practiced in the neighborhood, it had a defensive role expressively illustrated. The wall is pierced by ramparts and shooting holes in the shape of an inverted keyhole, characteristic of the medieval defense architecture.The tower located on the south side of the enclosure, of rectangular plan, has two levels and a high roof with an open wooden gallery.The floor of the tower, accessible from the outside, with obvious defensive role also presents shooting holes in the shape of an inverted keyhole.

The assembly of the fortified church in Lechinţa is part of the series of the northern Transylvanian Gothic churches that had a defensive enclosure and with role of underlining the status of free settlement.The evolution and the constructive stages of the monument are difficult to identify by simply going over its current appearance.The elements of a Romanesque stage could be deciphered in the presence of the little columns incurred from the triumphal arch and perhaps in the shape of the west portal, but which are also found in the Gothic architecture from the region.

The church was rebuilt in the fifteenth century as a hall-church that during the edification got another side, in order to increase the liturgical space and that led to the unique planimetry of the church in Lechinţa.The Baroque interventions in the eighteenth century partially modify the inner aspect of the nave. The furniture of the church includes a tabernacle from the end of the fifteenth century, dated 1494, the classicist altar dating from 1800.The church held an organ made by the craftsman Carl Hesse in 1861. The large bell dates from 1793, the other being molded in 1923.The place of worship is another building declared a historical monument.